Swapping. I used to do a lot of that back in the day. I corresponded with a few other paper crafters on the AOL message boards, so LONG ago.... I vaguely remember when those ended, and we all talked about this thing called Facebook. It really dates us here. Several of these online acquaintances have continued to keep in touch, and I consider many close friends of mine, even though we have never met face to face. (I did get to meet up with one in Minnesota years ago, it was fun!) Although I haven't participated in an online swap literally for over 15 years or so, I did join in recently while Kansas City at Craft Roulette, Paperganza retreat.
Paperganza by Craft Roulette 2026 continued the "swap" like the year before. At a certain time, we all entered the hall and like a swarm of bees started busily trading cards. Here was mine:
I chose to do a dreaded A9 size card (5-1/2" x 8-1/2") since that seems to be vetoed consistently on the Craft Roulette night. (Every week the guest gets to "veto" one thing off the wheel)... I personally, LOVE it when the wheel lands on something out of my comfort zone.. I think it stretches my imagination more, and I tend to think my most creative cards came from a not very (at first) wanted parameter.
My supplies here, are worth a mention...
First, I have to say, one of the best stamp purchases I feel I have bought is: Thinking Out Loud, which is great for anchoring sentiments. I have other dies too, which I equally think are great to have, you can do a lot of fun things with either the stamped or die cut version of a thought bubble.
When I saw the release of Pam-Purr Yourself, I thought it was the cutest thing. I didn't really start out with thinking I'd be making this for my swap cards, I just kind of started coloring the cat up, and then found myself coloring 19 more. (I gave one to each of our pod-mates too)... I originally planned on a completely different card, but...this was fun to color, so I ran with it.
I also used stencils for the bubbles on the inside, various dies and an embossing folder. If you are interested in my suppliers there, just let me know. They are all pretty basic to find, and there are many companies who offer similar supplies.
A couple of fun things to share here...
Starform Deco Stickers - Small Glitter Dots have become a new favorite supply of mine. Instead of enamel dots, I applied my little round stickers, that I colored with alcohol markers. I was able to match my fun patterned paper that way, and not have a clashing accent. These mail flat, and the sheets overall are extremely cost efficient, aka...cheap...as compared to packages of enamel dots, which may clash or even come off in the mail. I chisel both (enamel dots and these stickers) with my little pokey tool and both can go "flying" across my desk trying to get off the backing. I'll wake up sometimes, with an enamel dot, or now a little sticker stuck to me that I didn't realize. I mention this because I'd rather lose an inexpensive sticker dot, than a precious enamel dot...it seems like I'm always "short" one in the color I need...not the case here...you get TONS on a sheet, and we all know how many alcohol marker colors there are. (a sharpie will work too!)
Another find I'm happy I stumbled upon is the Silver Metallic Card Stock I used for this card. I can't complain about the quality one iota, nor...the price. I'm not afraid to waste a piece and more apt to use that special paper, when it's not costing me $1 or better per card! It's more like $ .28 a sheet, and I can get 4 cards off of one since I typically glue my card front to a lighter weight folded card.
Lastly, for convenience, I'm sharing a link to the envelopes: A9 Envelopes. What I didn't know, is that assuming your card is flat enough, or not too heavy, it requires the same postage as a regular card. I really enjoy making an A9, I'm glad it landed on the wheel Episode #317 a few months ago!
If you popped on here yesterday, you would have read some additional comments on swapping. I enjoy swapping, but, with everything, there are pros and cons... I am choosing to not speak of the cons here, although had you read yesterday, you may have gotten a bit of it, yikes. My take on swaps, is more of an opportunity to meet new people, and get new ideas and, hopefully spark some inspo along the way too. I can honestly say, all of those boxes have been checked for me. It's not supposed to be stressful. It can be a learning AND teaching experience, it can be introduction to something new experience. All and all, it's supposed to be fun...and like gift giving, no expectations, only if you agreed to swap, you really should follow through with that ... I know, life happens, even to me, I had to flake after my niece was killed, but habitually flaking on something you agreed to do, is not good swap etiquette...
I want to finish this up by telling you a story...one that to this minute gets me teary eyed...
When I was in high school, I was one of a few students who was selected by our counselors to be a "friend" to a student who may need a little help. It was sensitive and I had to be trained to do this. I did this for a couple years in a row, and each year, I was a "mentor/friend" to 2 different kids. I won't go into details too much here, as both had very private situations, that is not my story to share, it's not fair of me to divulge such hard situations, and I did somewhat take a "sworn to secrecy" oath.
My first "friend".... I think my relationship with her, may contribute to why I am so passionate about not taking anything for granted. I know there are times, where we may forget how blessed we are, but, this individual truly saw horrific life as she fled from her home, even some of her family, watching a few perish where she traveled to a land away from her own. (I will not go any farther with where she is from/circumstances, but trust me, I'm a little choked up here still, 45ish years later...) So, it's Christmas time. I'm pretty sure she never EVER celebrated Christmas, it was not her custom. I was so excited to give her a little gift...fully knowing I was not going to get one back. I carefully picked something thoughtful out (I believe it was a necklace, I know I wanted to do something special)... I was so excited when she opened that gift, saw the smile on her face.... Then, she reached down into her backpack... and slowly pulled out a package and slid it across the table to ME. I honestly didn't know what to think... As I opened it up, I saw those eyes so wide, and the biggest smile... under the paper sack wrapping, was a doll. It was one you might find at a dollar store, in a simple box... I can't tell you how much that gift meant to me, and still does. I have kept it safely preserved in my redwood chest of childhood keepsakes. I KNOW she didn't have the means to buy me this doll, but, yet she did... and it may have been one of the most treasured gifts, satin yellow dress, still in it's box to stay in good condition.
So, my story of LC and my gift? What does that have to do with swapping? Maybe nothing, or maybe something. Just know, swapping can be fun, it's not supposed to be stressful...and perhaps expectations aren't all that...there certainly is something to learn in everything...one person may have a different style than another, but with heart...can mean more than you know.
And LC...I would have LOVED to know where life sent you!!! I suspect you are a doctor, retired by now. You were so SMART... I think you helped me more, than I helped you!!!
Til next time!


No comments:
Post a Comment